The Community House is currently accepting applications for the position of Finance Director. To apply, please forward cover letter and resume to Judy Tittelbach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Finance Director serves as the Financial Administrator of the agency, including carrying out all day-to-day finance operations for operating budgeted Revenue of $2.8 million. The Finance Director establishes all accounting, financial reporting, information technology, budgeting and financial controls. The Finance Director will ensure that The Community House has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct sound audits.
As a member of the management team, the Finance Director will be involved in strategic planning, evaluation of programming offerings and implementation of systems and processes needed to incorporate new offerings. The Finance Director will work closely with program leaders and their staff teams to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures and to identify solutions for how the finance function can support program operations.
This position reports to the Executive Director and interacts frequently with the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Prepare journal entries to general ledger accounts and document business transactions.
- Maintain all records of receipts and revenues, disbursements and expenses.
- Maintain financial accounts, general ledger and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate U.S. GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain a set of internal controls and asset safeguards.
- Oversee all project/program and grants accounting ensuring that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period.
- Prepare financial reporting materials as needed for awards and grants.
- As assigned, prepare and implement bidding process for finance-related vendors, and make recommendations to Executive Director and Finance Committee.
- Coordinate and implement systems for purchase orders, organization-wide contracts, credit cards, and other items assigned. Serve as backup payroll administrator.
- Reconcile financial records with records in programs, services, development and outside medical biller records.
- File annual income tax return (Form 5500) and other reports (Form 1096/1099-Misc) to government agencies.
- Coordinate internally with program leaders, development team, and Executive Director.
- Coordinate annual audit activities with CPA firm, serving as on-site contact for auditor; report status to Executive Director.
- Serve as a business partner to the Executive Director and department leaders to analyze departmental data and organization performance with a view to identify, explain and address performance variances as appropriate.
- Obtain and analyze financial information.
- Perform daily operating cash tracking and management.
- Conduct financial performance forecasting and periodically update cash flow forecasts.
- Oversee all insurance programs and renewals.
- Lead the implementation of the annual operating budget preparation process.
- Maintain a current set of operating procedures for financial workflows.
- Attendance at various Task Force, Finance and Investment Committee, Executive Committee and Board of Trustee meetings.
Employee Benefits / 401K Plan Administration:
- Work with employee medical/dental benefits broker to complete annual benefits renewal.
- Communicate changes to employee insurance benefits programs to all staff.
- Serve as 401K Plan day-to-day Primary Contact with Plan Administrator.
- Enrollment and termination of 401K Plan participants on a quarterly basis.
- Transfer each pay period employee contribution and employer match to 401K Plan Administrator for deposit to employee accounts.
- Complete annual year-end 401K Plan non-discrimination testing. Report results to Executive Director and Finance Committee.
- Prepare computation of annual year-end employer discretionary contribution for Executive Director and Executive Committee consideration.
- Transfer annual employer discretionary contribution to 401K Plan Administrator for deposit to employee accounts.
- Work with 401K Plan Administrator and Executive Director to periodically update 401K Plan documents, as required.
- Manage third party IT vendor to meet or exceed service delivery agreement and optimize organization’s service to meet business service needs.
- Serve as liaison between TCH staff and technology vendor identifying trends and troubleshooting issues to resolve barriers.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the organization’s technology plan including identification of hardware and software needs for each business unit, all within the budgetary framework.
The Director of Finance will have at least five years of professional experience, including experience coordinating or performing an annual financial audit. Strong accounting experience at an organization with very diverse programs (in particular, nonprofit experience) is preferred.
The Finance Director will have the following experience and attributes:
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting.
- Experience should include general ledger maintenance, financial audit, compliance, cash flow forecasting, annual operating budget and employee benefits administration.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to all staff, senior management, and the board of trustees along with outside partners, as required.
- Strong people skills with experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Technologically savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations, developing and implementing new processes and systems to increase efficiency and managing relationships with software vendors.
- Advanced hands-on knowledge of accounting and financial reporting software. Candidates to provide an advance list of software they have worked with. Experience with Thomson Reuters or other small business software is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting. CPA or MBA a plus.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to the success of our mission.
- Flexible and a self-starter. Able to multi-task while also being highly detail oriented.
- Leadership to gracefully attain cooperation.